Tuesday, June 26, 2012

6.25.12

Dear Family,

Well I guess first I’ll answer some of Dad’s questions.  Well, thank you so much, Dad for the letters you have been sending. They do mean a lot to me. Everything is going good here in Caribou and yes I do live above a store. The store is called The Cubby. It's a thrift store, kinda. A member, Bro. Johnson, owns it. So yes that’s where I live. It is a nice apartment, not dirty, not too small and it is a nice place to live.  
And yes everyone we do have a car - ha.  It’s a Suburo Impreza 2011. It’s a nice car. I haven't driven it yet. Elder Harris is kinda prone to driving it I guess - ha.  But someday I’ll drive it and I’ll make him let me - ha.  Elder Harris is a great companion, He is from Smithfield Utah, and has been out a little over a year and a half. He has just like 6 months left. Caribou is nice and very spread out. Our area goes to Preque Isle, and Fort Fairfield and Limestone and even Ft. Kent is in our area, but we hardly ever go up there. There is just one ward here for that huge area, so some people drive an hour or more to get to church in Caribou. The members are awesome. They help out so much!  We are the only missionaries in the Caribou area, the nearest missionaries are in Houlton, and actually I think I’m going on an exchange with them on Tuesday.

So, things here are going well. We had an investigator family come to church yesterday and they seem ready to be baptized. The parents do drink coffee but we haven't talked to them about it yet.  They are very nice and have 3 girls who are 12, 10, and 7.  I love teaching them.  We also meet with this girl is so funny and so happy all the time. We've only had a couple lessons with her and things are going pretty smoothly there. So we'll see on that one.  There’s also some more that we are teaching and its fun and they seem to be accepting the gospel well. The people here are nice and fun to talk. Most are set in their ways and hard to teach.  There are a bunch of hicks here, and they don't really have a thick accent, but some do say words like, idea, as idear, which is weird and stuff.  So some do talk like hillbillies, but pretty much the accents and the way they talk is pretty similar to me, so it’s not that hard to talk to people. 

I am getting better at the lessons. I’m not the best yet but I keep trying and I’ll get it done sooner or later - ha.  Our mission president is actually getting switched this week, I believe. So I’ll have a new Mission president, President Levett or something like that.   So that’s kinda cool, I guess.  Well I’ll talk to you guys later.  Thank you for your prayers and thank you for all that you guys do!!

I love you all,

Elder Beckert

No comments:

Post a Comment